Thursday, May 12, 2011

Finding My Way Through Data

So, one thing I knew from the very beginning was that the process of pursuing a PhD is a lonely journey. In the sense that one has got to figure out the ideas, and pave some kind of writing to express your novel contribution to the scientific community. Moral and academic support is always there, but...it is up to oneself to sort out the mess of ideas, and write them out.

See, I am currently doing data analysis for what is supposed to be valuable input to my research. I am using grounded theory, GT (a story for another day). Working with qualitative data i.e. words instead of figures, is appealing to my mind, but it is a very long, iterative process that sometimes leaves you feeling lost as I happen to be feeling now. Btw, I could handle figures too if I wanted to, but after a double major BSc in Computer Science and Mathematics, I decided I did not want to have a deep friendship with Maths again.

Anyway, back to my sense of loss in overwhelming amount of data - I know I just need to keep at it, and somehow, in the process....the pieces of data will fall in place. But you see, I ain't got much time, so I kinda need to get this done before things run out of hand.

Have to go back to my data now....I will be back.

No comments: